Having a stylish Picnic Backpack is essential for outings to the beach, hiking, camping or going on a picnic in the park. Being a backpack, instead of a basket, means you can carry it on your back, leaving your hands free to navigate or carry something else.
|Wine Picnic Tweed Backpack For Two||$||4.5|
|Picnic Backpack Cooler w/ Blanket For Two||$$||4.6|
|All In One Picnic Travel Backpack Plates Cutlery Set||$||4.1|
|Tremont Four Person Picnic Set||$$||4.3|
|TURISMO Picnic Backpack||$$||4.1|
|Tremont 4 Person Picnic Backpack||$$||4.3|
|Picnic Plus Fiesta 2 Person Picnic Backpack||$||4.5|
|Picnic at Ascot Bold Lux Wine and Cheese Cooler||$$||4.3|
Our chart above is specifically designed for you to help you find your Picnic Backpack easily. Now you don’t need to go scrolling through hundreds of items to try and find the right one for you. The Best Chart gives you the product name, average customer review score and price. It’s everything you need to know in the one place.
Benefits of getting the right picnic backpack
Finding the right picnic bag for your needs will save you:
- Space: You’ll be able to fit all your food, wine and snacks in the one bag instead of having to pack multiple heavy baskets and bags to carry around.
- Time: Because all your essential items (plates, cutlery, cutting board etc) are stored in the one place, all you need to add is your food and drink and off you go!
- Money: It’s affordable. Have a look at the chart to compare prices and ratings and you’ll be able to see at a glance the price range to suit any budget.
A personal experience
The funniest experience I ever had with a Picnic Backpack was when my boyfriend proposed to me. He said he wanted to go on a romantic hike through a rain-forest and have a picnic. Of course I agreed, and he promised to bring everything. When he turned up, he had a picnic backpack that he had borrowed from his sister. We drove to the edge of the rain forest and started to walk down the trail. It was a beautiful spot and my boyfriend carried the backpack easily.
When we got to the area, it was deserted and we decided to go for a paddle in the stream to cool off. We left the backpack on the ground in a clearing and splashed in the stream. We cooled down and left the stream to have our picnic.
But when we got back to the clearing, we found ants everywhere! The backpack only had Velcro tie downs, so the ants were able to get in to the food. The outside pocket that held the wine wasn’t insulated, so the bottle of wine was hot, and to top it off, there was no blanket to even sit on! The whole picnic was ruined. We sat in the dirt away from the ants, had a warm glass of wine and salvaged what we could from the food.
My boyfriend was particularly upset because he had wanted everything to be perfect. When he got down on one knee to propose, he found out the ring had fallen out of his pocket when we were splashing in the stream. He did propose in the end, and I couldn’t help but say yes as he looked so miserable.
The moral of the story? If you’re going to propose over a picnic lunch, make sure your backpack is up to scratch!
What to look for in buying a picnic backpack
- Zippers – Zippers need to be strong. With back packs, you are going to be opening and closing them a lot as you take food out of them. If they break, they make the backpack fairly useless, as you want to be able to keep the food and drink well insulated and locked away from any ants.
- Compartments – Because you may want to keep certain items separate (desserts and cold meats etc.), you need to find a backpack with at least a few compartments. There should also be a separate compartment for your utensils so they are clean to use.
- Insulation – Certain foods and drinks will need to stay cold. There is nothing worse than having to drink hot water after a long hike. Make sure the insulation is of good quality and keeps everything chilled.
- Two Drink Compartments – Many people like to take a bottle of wine as well as a bottle of water with them on a picnic, or if it’s in the morning, a thermos and a juice. Having two outer, insulated compartments which are designed to fit a tall bottle of soft drink or alcohol are the best. It’s also important to make sure the zippers don’t come right down, otherwise you run the risk of your bottles falling out, should they be zipped down too quickly.
- Blanket – (optional) Many backpacks now come with a picnic blanket attached to them, which is always a welcome addition. Having a rubber backed one is best as you don’t need to worry about sand or grass sticking to it, and it’s easier to clean. Try and make sure it is one that can be attached to the outside with strong straps so you don’t lose it.
How to find the best features for your picnic backpack:
- Read our Product Reviews – Taking some time to research the product you’re looking to buy is important, as it will help you find the right one for your needs – without buying one that has features that you’ll never use or that costs a lot more than you have to spend.
- Look at the pictures – As the old saying goes, a picture tells a thousand words. You want to see what it looks like from the inside as well as the out. You can look at a picnic backpack straightaway and see if it has the features you are looking for. If you are a family and you need 4 plates, then seeing a picture of a picnic backpack open and displaying only 2 plates is going to tell you to keep looking.
- Compare features – Compare the features on each picnic backpack and look for one that has either the perfect set of features for you, or the best match. Sometimes you might be looking for something in particular – for example, having a blanket attached to it but you’re not fussed whether it includes cups, plates, forks and knives. Knowing what you want from the product is important, which leads us to the final point…
- Focus on what’s important to you – You may have a particular feature that is a deal breaker for you. For example, if you know that you are not going to be happy with a picnic backpack that only holds one wine bottle, then make sure you look at the pictures and compare every bag that features two bottle holders and choose the one that suits you best.
The top 5 Picnic Backpacks, Reviewed.
This picnic backpack has a setting for four. Including, four plastic wine glasses, four small plates, cutlery, cutting board and cheese knife. Also included are salt and pepper holders and napkins. It’s very lightweight, even when everything is packed in, which is a bonus. It also has a bottle holder on the side for wine, water or soft drink.
It’s standard quality, meaning it’s good quality for the price you pay. You could probably pay more, and get a better quality backpack, but I find it suits my needs when going on picnics and having something that stores everything quite well without taking up heaps of room in the car!
I love this picnic backpack! It’s light, attractive and easy to manage. It comes with all the cutlery, cups, plates, napkins, cheese board, knife, wine opener and salt and pepper shakers that most picnic backpacks have, but these are fairly good quality. It’s suitable for two people and I love the extra blanket (in a holder) and the fact that it has two side compartments for wine or water bottles. The size is generous and it has an insulated food compartment. I really can’t find anything to complain about it!
This thick, canvas backpack is great to carry lunch or picnic food. It has an external bottle carrier and plenty of useful pockets. It’s quite large, and the zippers are actually quite sturdy, as is the backpack. The backpack straps are good quality and it’s great for hiking. Although it says it’s insulated, it’s neither very well insulated nor waterproof.
We had a water bottle leak and the water went right through the pack and we got quite wet (in winter, mind you). Also, when purchasing this product for review, I didn’t receive my water bottle, which was a shame. Although it is quite plain in appearance, this would probably appeal to those needing it for work. There are a few different colors to choose from if khaki isn’t your ideal color for a picnic backpack.
This backpack was bought as a wedding gift for a couple. They love using it for camping and really love the blanket. They have also mentioned that the back of the bag was a cooler and quite ample in storing what they needed. This backpack was chosen because it is light, has a lifetime warranty and all the standard items such as cutlery, acrylic wine glasses, melamine plates, cotton napkins, hardwood cutting board, cheese knife, wine opener as well as wooden salt and pepper shakers. We added a bottle of red wine and it became the perfect gift!
This backpack is quite stylish. It is a Picnic Backpack designed for two People. It measures 10″ x 10″ x 15″. It comes with an insulated food storage compartment and includes a waiters corkscrew, cutting boards, and salt and pepper shakers. The two wine bottle insulated compartments at the front of it are really great.
They could hold water and a thermos if you were going for an early morning hike or picnic. The only problem we’ve experienced is that the food compartment can be on the small side. But as we generally only have one bottle of wine with us at a time, we found that we could fit more food in the wine compartment as they were insulated.