One of the most common reasons people hate backpacks are the slippery straps that never stay in place no matter who much you adjust them. A single strap backpack or messenger bag is a great choice for these people. It secures your backpack by cutting across your body.
|OutdoorMaster Sling Bag Backpack||$||4.5|
|KAVU Rope Sling Backpack||$||4.7|
|adidas Capital Sling Backpack||$||4.2|
|Port & Company Honeycomb Sling Pack||$||3.9|
|Condor Ambidextrous Sling Bag||$$||4.4|
|Everest Sling Bag||$||4.0|
|Yens® Fantasybag Urban Sport Sling Pack||$||4.2|
|Blue Urban Sport Messenger Backpack||$||3.4|
|Victorinox Altmont 3.0 Dual-Compartment Monosling||$||4.6|
|Digital Pixel Camouflage Army Military Backpack||$||3.4|
Here is a chart that outlines the benefits of the top ten single strap backpacks and messenger bags. We compare the customer reviews and price to give you an accurate picture as to why these single strap backpacks are the best on the market.
Benefits of a Single Strap Backpack or Messenger Bag
There are several benefits to choosing a single strap backpack.
- Lightweight: Most single strap backpacks weigh less than a pound. The low weight makes them easy to care and painless to your back and shoulders.
- Security: Theft is a serious problem in schools and colleges, as well as on public transit in some cities. With a single strap backpack, no one can come and snatch your backpack from your back. It is secured because of it across the body strap design that resembles a car seat belt. You will never have to worry or be stressed out about your backpack being taken from you while you are carry it.
- Easy to Shift: If you need something from your backpack, it is easy to shift your bag for easy access. All you have to do is move the strap slightly.
- Compartmentalized: Most single strap backpacks have at least two compartments. You can organize your personal items, your school items and any other items you want to carry in your bag. At the minimum, you will get a large compartment and a large front pocket.
- Great for cycling: A single strap backpack is ideal for people who ride bikes or motorcycles. They do not hang low on your body and the strap secures the backpack without hindering your arm movements. This is why the messenger bag style is extremely popular with people who work as bicycle messengers.
My Experience with Single Strap Backpacks
When I was younger, I used to always carry my backpack by using one strap. I thought it was cool to do so. Apparently, I’m not the only one. Many of us wear only one strap. Unfortunately, two strap backpacks are not designed to distribute weight when only one strap is used. That is why I was thrilled to learn that they made single strap backpacks.
With my single strap backpack, I can be cool and not weigh down one shoulder trying to carry a two strap backpack with one strap. One of the best benefits I enjoy from my use of a single strap backpack is that the strap across my body stops the backpack from flopping and hitting my back. The backpack also helps me move my arms more freely when I am riding my bike or walking. I can now fly on my bike. Before with my two strap backpack, I was always trying to adjust the straps, and I was always afraid someone would come and snatch it off my back.
As a girl, I also like to be trendy and cute. The single strap backpacks are lightweight and designed to be fashionable. Currently, I care a single rope strap backpack. I love it. The strap is light and easy, and it does not rest at top my bra straps like a two strap backpack does. That can be very uncomfortable and cause my bra strap to push into my skin. It is one the best buys of my life. I can put a change of clothing into my bag, my tablet, my phone and my notebooks.
What to look for when Buying a Single Strap Backpack or Messenger Bag
Here is your buying guide to what to look for when purchasing a single strap backpack.
- The single strap: Look for a strong padded strap that is adjustable.
- Back panel: Look for single strap backpacks or satchel bags that come with a back panel that is padded. This helps the backpack to rest comfortably on your back. You will not have to worry about a pencil or something in your backpack poking you while you carry it.
- Size: Most single strap backpacks are small. However, there are a few that can carry medium size textbooks and a 15-inch laptop. You have to decide what size works for you. I have a small laptop that fits in my messenger bag.
- Fabric: Some fabrics stretch. If you are going to carry different loads in your backpack, you might want to get a backpack that is flexible and can adjust. You want a fabric that is also water resistant. You might get caught in the rain, and you should not have to worry about the items in your backpack being damaged.
How to find a single strap backpack
Single strap backpacks (messenger bags) are a bit more of a niche item than the standard two strap backpack, so you may find that your choices in retail stores like Walmart and Sears are .
Online giants like Amazon also sell single strap backpacks. Before you buy a backpack, you should check out Amazon.com to read customer reviews. Customer reviews give you feedback on how the backpacks actually work for everyday usage. You should read a range of reviews. Read the five and four-star reviews. Read the negative reviews. You can find real concerns in negative reviews. Though some negative reviews can be a reflection of the buyer’s needs and not the actual product. Shopping around helps you see what is on the market so you can assess what bag is best for you. Also, you will be able to get the best bang for your buck.
The Top Single Strap Backpacks Magazine
This sling bag from OutdoorMaster is durable, stylish and lightweight. It only comes in one size, but this size is big enough to carry heavy books. It has six pockets in total – a strap-mounted cell phone pocket, a hidden compartment in the back of the bag for your wallet and cell phone, a mesh side water bottle pocket, two handy front pockets and a large main compartment.
The single strap is soft and sturdy, and can switch between either side of the bag. The zippers are strong and durable. The backpack is sturdy and weighs only one pound. With hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon, this is a great pick.
This is a single strap backpack for both genders available in several colors. It comes with a rope strap that is 38 inches long. The strap hugs the body quite nicely. The bag made from cotton, and you can buy it in different patterns and colors. Cotton is a very durable fabric.
The KAVU Rope bag has a large compartment that contains two interior multi-function pockets. The outside has an easy to access pocket for your smartphone and another exterior pocket for other use. You can carry all your daily items in this backpack. It is not big enough to carry multiple textbooks at once.
This single strap backpack gets its name from the 600 denier polyester/420 denier honeycomb polyester contrast. It comes in five colors: lime, black, navy, red and twilight blue. The design has two compartments. One large front zippered pocket and a storage compartment with side entry. The bag measure 17x13x6 inches.
It is very lightweight, and the cross body strap does not slide from your shoulder. This bag is very inexpensive. You can find it for under $10 online at stores like Amazon. One of the downside is that the zippers are easy to break, and only small laptops can fit into the backpack.
This backpack comes in OD Green, black and tan. It has an adjustable shoulderwaist strap for left and right hand usage. Some of the main features include a build-in hydration compatible pocket, zipper closure concealment pocks, a padded mesh back panel, and compression straps on top and the side.
All three compartments come with double zippers. Double zippers are great for locks. The bag also comes with heavy duty webbing, but the webbing is poorly spaced. It also has two outer layers with multiple compartment and slots. You can fit an average size laptop into the backpack. It measures 20x12x15.