Owning a good fishing backpack can prove to be a lifesaver. There is nothing that can ruin a fishing trip quicker than realizing you left something important, such as bigger hooks, extra fishing line, bobbers, or your lucky lure behind. True enough, you can probably make it without them, but why try and miss the big one?
To make it easy for you to find the best fishing backpacks, I have assembled the chart above. It is a simple way to find the best fishing backpack without having to spend hours jumping from site to site. I have provided the name and manufacturer, as well as the average customer review score and price.
Advantages of finding the perfect fishing backpack
- Heaps Of Storage. There is no easier way to carry everything you need for a day out fishing, including bait, tackle, drinks, sunscreen, glasses, and even a small first aid kit.
- Pockets & Compartments. Fishing backpacks often have numerous pockets preventing the aggravation associated with having to dig around looking for that pack of gum or bandages.
- Easy & Comfortable. They are much easier and comfortable to carry around than a big tackle box. Many of them have padded shoulder pads and backs to reduce the amount of strain put on your back.
- Stay Organized. Many come with utility boxes to make the process of separating your tackle as easy as possible.
- Waterproof. Many are waterproof offering protection for everything inside the bag. Plus, the material typically dries quickly eliminating a musty smell.
- Gear Protection. The waterproof exterior allows you to easily spray off any mud at the end of the day without worrying about having to take everything out and putting it back when it finally dries.
I have a fishing spot that no one knows about it, but it requires a three-mile hike through really dense woods to reach it. Nothing used to irritate me more than getting there and realizing I left something back in the truck. Yes, I had a great tackle box, but it did not hold my drinks or cell phone. After the third time of fighting my way through the briars and dodging the gnats that are always flying around, I bit the bullet and purchased a fishing backpack.
Initially I had intended to use it in addition to my tackle box, but I soon found out that I no longer needed my box. My backpack is just the right size to fit all of my fishing gear along with all the extra stuff I need. Plus, there are plenty of pockets and compartments making it very simple to keep everything separated for easy access. Best of all, I made sure I bought one that was completely waterproof so there is no need to worry about my phone, or anything else, getting wet.
I’m not going to lie. I always thought that guys using fishing backpacks weren’t real fishermen, but I was wrong. If anything, they knew the secret to a better day out on the lake. I pack it up the night beforehand and throw it in the truck. Another plus is that I have both my hands free to slap away gnats and push briars out of the way when going down to my fishing hole.
What Should You Look For When Purchasing A Fishing Backpack?
- Size. Choose the right size for your needs. If you are just planning a few hours of fishing, you probably just need a smaller day pack. However, if you are planning to spend a few days out on the lake, you may want to opt for a large, heavy-duty pack that can fit everything you need for several days.
- Support. Look at what type of lumbar support it offer,
- Shoulder Straps. Opt for a backpack that has straps made out of strong materials to improve durability.
- Pocket Placement. Check out the placement of the pockets and make sure they are easily accessible for you. Also, look for 360-trays or small utility boxes to separate your gear.
- Water Resistance. Choose a fishing backpack that is made of a waterproof material, even if it costs a little more. There is no fishing without water, so why worry about whether or not your things are protected?
- Zippers Quality. Make sure the zippers are good quality to prevent them from coming apart and making you lose of your important items.
How to Find the Best Fishing Backpack
- Shop Online. Many towns do not have stores that carry fishing backpacks, leaving you to make your purchase online. Amazon is a great place to look, not only because they tend to have the best prices, but also they have user reviews you can read. This is an important part of the process. Make sure you read what other users have to say about a bag you are considering, whether you are purchasing it online or in a store. Chances are the same thing that bothers someone else about a backpack is going to irritate you as well.
- Look At A Few Bags. Don’t settle for the first fishing backpack you come across. Look at several options before making your purchase. There is a good chance that the more you look at, the more you will begin to realize what is best for you. Hopefully our chart and reviews helps you here.
- You Get What You Pay For. Chances are that you would not choose your tackle box based on price alone, so do not do this with your fishing backpack either. While you do not necessarily need the most expensive backpack on the market, you probably won’t be satisfied with the cheapest option either. Everyone knows that you get what you pay for.
- Read Reviews. Product reviews are invaluable for finding the best bag for you. You can also check with other fishers to see what backpack they prefer. Glance through message boards or ask others that you come across with a backpack while fishing. They can help steer you in the right direction, as well as let you know what backpacks you may want to stay away from.
Reviews Of Some Of The Best Fishing Backpacks Available.
This bag is designed to give fishermen plenty of storage with lots of pockets for easy organization. In addition, it has an integrated lighting system plus a 5000 mAh rechargeable battery to power or recharge devices via USB including your mobile phone, tablet or Bluetooth speaker system.
Owners appear to appreciate several aspects of the bag, including the strong feet on the bottom that help it stand up on its own, and its sturdy construction combined with plenty of storage.
Made of a heavy-duty material and featuring thick shoulder pads to decrease stress on the shoulders, the Shimano is perfect for anglers who usually walk long distances to their favorite fishing spots. There are plenty of pockets with zippers, as well as 2 utility boxes.
As an added bonus, it includes mesh rod holders on both sides making it very simple to haul around your poles. Users leave great complements for this backpack, including “This bag is superb, well thought out, designed from top quality materials, and even features a great rain cover that can be easily folded up when the rain ends.”
Featuring plenty of side pockets that are easily accessible, the Flambeau is considered to be ideal for the occasional fisherman, though avid anglers may want to explore their options. It holds a good amount of tackle, but many reviewers feel that “it is not up to everyone else’s standards for durability.”
This is primarily because it is completely soft sided making it more likely to succumb to the elements. In addition, it is not known for being water resistant leaving anything inside of it susceptible to the rain. However, it is cost-effective and is a great possibility for those who don’t get a chance to fish on a consistent basis.